Sunday, February 22, 2009

housechurch

after many disheartening failed attempts to find an already established house church in our area, I gave up completely. then I met a couple in which the wife was homeschooled and housechurched just like me! and the husband was public schooled and traditionally churched like Mike. quite the coincidence. so she and I of course struck up a friendship...and after knowing them a few months...my brain came out of hiding long enough to say, "hey, why dont we just have our own?"
so far we have had three meetings...three really good, although quick, meals. theres so few of us, conversation doesnt flow as easy so we just sort of eat, joke around, and then get down to the only thing I have come up with to do! we listen to Beresford's traditions cds. the first one was the one that had to set the stage, so it was a bit dry..and hard for the non housechurchers to get into. but now that we've gotten to the second and third...those were fun! and those were the ones that dove right into the interesting things. and theres more to come. :D
I'm the only one that plays an instrument..and I have to do the cooking, cleaning, childcare, and praying for our little church so I dont have the energy to step out on the music limb yet. everyone is willing to participate, (thankfully) they just dont want to have to help me clean up or sort of guide the thing. I hate being a female making all the suggestions but its either that or we have no church. and we all are really enjoying Beresford right now.
any suggestions on what to do next? books? cds? something someone could send me to give me ideas?
please pray for my husband to start taking initiative. we dont do alot of in-church praying because if we do, I have to lead...no one joins. everyone is very shy and we are all in the 21 and under age group...so its a slow start. and I dont know where the line is between appropriate female participation and feminist tyranny so I am treading carefully and trying to let it just flow as is except for when we listen to the cds.
something exciting though is that when some of these marines crash at our place after hanging out with us all weekend, they all choose to stay for church if they are still here. and they look forward to it. one of them said he felt he needed to stay because being involved in church again would make him feel better about his life. he also said he needed some F#%@ing Jesus in his life. dont we all. :P

6 comments:

KathyB. said...

Maybe you can do the most simple and yet 'scriptural' thing to do. Simply read through a chapter or two of scripture every time you meet. Anyone who can read can do just that. Pray for wisdom and discernment regarding what you have read, and discuss what you have read while you share a meal.

Ask one of the men to choose a chapter of the Bible to read through. They can even google the chosen scripture or call your Dad or ...? to ask questions about the scripture to enable them to more fully understand it. Keep it simple, fix easy meals and be generous in your spirit as you prepare and share, counting your service as to God so that you do not resent your 'service' and realizing that as a woman this is a privilege! Remember, this is truly a privilege even if no one expresses any appreciation....and if it is truly for God you will not feel inclined to complain or begrudge what you have freely offered up! In all things let God be praised and give Him the glory.

Lanny said...

Oh Carol you make me smile, and giggle and smile. Ahh the fear of female tyranny.

You might consider that this time right now is to learn to be a group, to be comfortable and trust one another.

Rebecca B. and I have been talking about prayer, you might want to put "prayer" in on you're favorite Bible web site (I use Biblegateway) and look at the New Testament instances of prayer. Not to many recounts of "popcorn" prayer.

Look at the accounts of a gathering of the Body, 1 Cor. 14:26"How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification." (I kinda think this is a random list, a suggestion maybe, of what to do, but check it out, no prayer?) now I don't want to say we ought not to, that would be silly, but I don't think you should be worried about it, but if you need to pray, let 'er rip, how is it different from anything else mentioned? if you really need someone to pray for you, ask. But I do think it wise not to make it look like you think less of the men for not stepping up to the plate like the men in your childhood would. They may not be comfortable and distain won't help them gain comfort. The ultimate goal the scripture says is edification. And right now, for your little precious group, edification might be just that realization of, "hey we can do this and none of us die or are made fun of" Let that sit, and work itself into everyone's being. I know it is hard not to run with it, trust me I know, but we are told to be patient, not complacent, but patient. We are to spur one another on but it is on to love and good deeds not the perfect House Church Pot Luck.

Make the whole thing "church" you can talk and visit about all sorts of things while preparing the meal, setting it out, eating it and cleaning it up. Pop in a music CD as well as a Beresford Job one, have a worship CD going as people arrive, you are right you cannot do it all, that would be a good sign then that you ought not to try. Resist the temptation (even the subconscience temptation) to look like the House Church Queen. God does not need you to prove anything and neither does anyone else. Make it easy and comfortable and let it flow. Trust the Holy Spirit!


Oh kisses and hugs my dear friend. All of you will get there if it is God you are after and not the "things" of God. You know we will continue to pray for you and yours and thank you for sharing because it is good to pray specifically. Did Anna comment on your Mustang? I didn't because she was so excited (her favorite car) I was going to let her be the one to oooh and aaahhh.

Lanny said...

Holy Moley that was a long one eh?

CaroltheRose said...

thank you guys!
I promise that all my disdainful sounding words in the post have never been voiced. this is the only place I voiced those concerns. :)
I have been sort of letting it all flow, and its nice to hear that is the nice thing to do...and thank you for the encouragement to try not to be the housechurch queen! I didnt know I was doing it...I certainly wasnt conciously doing it, but I could relax a tad.
and Kathy, you are right, it is a priviledge to get the house together for a church I never thought would happen. I have mutinous thoughts as I clean and Mike watches tv..but last saturday night I sort of thought to myself.."I could be so much angrier right now...how am I just doing this and not really getting that upset? God is really looking out for me here!" and I just asked him to continue to get me through each preparation with joy and thankfulness.
I'll just continue to ask anyone if they have specific things they want prayer on, and if no one has anything..then we'll just talk about all the wonderful things instead!
thank you guys so much!

KathyB. said...

Right on Carol! Sounds like a good plan and really, how amazing is it for you to have come to know another couple who are a bit like minded?!What a gift.....

A. Joy said...

Hey Carol, Rebecca A has been reading "The Pilgrim's Progress" at our Saturday church gatherings each week. She has a children's version but it's been really fun and get's us thinking!