Wednesday, October 22, 2008

all things old are not outdated

I was reading "pride and prejudice"....because Jane Austin is of course amazing, and the mother in the story is flitting around wailing that her youngest married daughter is moving far away, and wont be there to spend each day near her mother as a daughter should. that got me thinking.

I have been thinking about the future, thinking about what sort of house I want, what sort of nice things I want to have, and it makes me more and more depressed. pick up Ecclesiastes in the bible. I know exactly how Solomon feels. I keep thinking about what I'd like to have, and I keep buying things, and I am for sure THANKFUL for all the things we have now in this big beautiful house...but it feels meaningless sometimes because...I'll keep striving for more, for happiness, and then I'll die. it didn't feel right.



I want to move into my parents house when they get to the point where they could use help. I want to have the old fashioned family legacy. I want to help them and keep them safe until God wants them to go....I want to set that example for my kids, because I would love for them to care enough about me to want to care for me when I'm old. and how pleased I would be to have them come back to me, in the family house that my parents built, and take care of me, and let me have my grandchildren and great grandchildren around me! I want that for my parents, I want it for me, I want it for the whole family.

where did the old fashioned traditions go? and what in heaven's name was ever wrong with them in the first place???

I miss the country, and I love my parents home, I love my parents, I love their gardens that they and us kids have made together over the years in our different houses, I like Dad's motorcycle, I like the location they live in, I DEARLY MISS the housechurch I grew up in, I miss the piano I learned to play on....I want my kids to live in that house and show their kids pictures of their great grandparents building it.

what happened to family legacies? these days it seems the only legacy many parents leave behind are mistakes and emotional baggage and debt. I want so much more than that. and I think God wants more than that FOR me, and for my family, and for every one of his children.

and when I look toward THAT kind of future, I am not depressed. I'm SO excited for every second of it...I'm not scared of being old. I want to see my greatgrandchildren. and those who are afraid of age, and who dont care about those who come after them....they are missing the point. its not the stuff you get, although I think homes are important in families, but its about the family! every member born. I want to hug as many of them as I can before I die. thats what really matters, God, and the church family and real family he gave you.

3 comments:

Lanny said...

Glad you are back posting, I hope I have much to read when I get my rightful lap top back, until then sort it out and write it down.

Off to town with Bet and Anna to get a few things for the gaming show tomorrow. Have a great day!

WingMaster said...

Sweatheart, You make me miss you all SO much. I love the idea of staying together in our "autumn" years. (Especially the way the ecomomy looks these days). It may take a couple incomes to get by in the future. Besides that, I just like you an awful lot!

CaroltheRose said...

I miss you guys too Dad. I was thinking by then it would be cool to turn some extra part of the house into a little hair salon..because I can use Mike's college money the military gives him to go to beauty school.and I could space out clients and have time in between to still be present in the house. and by then, imagine how much landscaping there will be for me to paint!
I really look forward to getting older. thats a funny thing to say...but I do!
Like you alot too. in fact I love you!